Follow by Email

Friday, October 14, 2011

Found, but not exactly art, in our parking lot in the Mushroom Capital

This, my friends, is the latest Richmond News Parking Lot Not-Art Find of the Week. We can only assume that the person who wolfed these down wasn't watching his good and bad cholesterol. I've never been a White Castle fan, but I remember being curious about the one near the end of the 7th Avenue Subway line at 244th Street and Broadway, near where I lived in Riverdale, N.Y. from 7th grade through high school. There's a Maid-Rite hamburger place in Lexington, Mo. across the river from Richmond that I've heard is similar, but I haven't tried it. The burgers there are steamed, a friend says, and are more crumbly than in patty form. Steamed or not, the place does appeal to me because there's a counter and you can watch the cooks work, kind of like Waffle House or Town Topic in Kansas City. These spots all have a certain charm for me, but the best of all is Ron's Hamburgers in Tulsa, Okla. The original Ron's counter-only hole in the wall can be seen in the small photo below. I'll make myself crazy with hunger (at 9:35 a.m.), but at Ron's it was always a Mexican Steak (grill-cooked hamburger steak served on bed of chili covered with green chilis, pepper jack cheese and jalapeno slices), a side of the best finely chopped, sweet cole slaw I've had and a frosty mug of root beer. Those were the days my drooling Treybooshkas!

No comments:

Post a Comment