Saturday, February 11, 2012

Low-rolling clouds to the west at sunset

I first noticed the low cloud bank along H Highway between Excelsior Springs and Liberty.
Quite an unusual cloud formation to the west at sunset Friday. I couldn't take my eyes off a long line of clouds that seemed to be nestled in a valley, as if between two hills or mountains. I've seen things like this during my early-morning commute to Ray County, but nothing similar on the way home. I wasn't sure at one point if what I was seeing was clouds settling close to the ground or smoke that collected from a fire. Given the length of the formation (see the smaller photo at the top, taken along H Highway between Excelsior Springs and Liberty, which only shows part of it) it would've had to have been a huge fire. Anyone have any physical explanation for why this would occur when it did? I've guessed that it may have something to do with condensation created by the differences in temperature in the sky and on the ground, but I have no idea if there's anything to that. In the bottom photo, you can clearly see how thick and low the clouds were. These photos were taken at Highway 152 and Church Road, near the Liberty Walmart.

No comments:

Post a Comment